Preparation is the key to any successful outing—and a day out with a frail elderly person should never be spontaneous. The first task must be to vet the activity to ensure that it is suitable for the elderly person.
- the amount of walking involved, and if there is parking nearby
- if the destination is flat or has hills or stairs to climb
- if there is wheelchair access (if appropriate)
- whether there is cover and shade
- whether there are toilet facilities
- whether there are chairs or benches available in case the elderly person needs a rest
- if there is cell phone coverage
Holiday Outing Ideas
Take a leisurely family drive to look at the local city holiday lights. If it is possible and received warmly, invite the senior to your house to decorate. Help your elderly loved one attend a holiday party especially for seniors at a local senior center. Sometimes there will be a special music feature and/or games. Attend local and community plays. Besides the local theater, stage house or ballet, affordable plays and performances done by elementary schools, junior highs and high schools are just as entertaining and more affordable.
In home care Fremont CA, Visiting Angels, specializes in enhancing the independence and sense of freedom for our aging clients. Providing personal care services, transportation, medication reminders, meal preparation, and much more, Visiting Angels makes home care the best care. Contact us today to find out more; contact us in Alameda County at (510) 284-0000 or in Santa Clara County at (408) 735-0977.
Sources: eHow, Elderly Care Tips