Enjoy a safe holiday with seniors in their home or yours, and consider certain safety issues.
- Use colorful paper garlands strung high instead of breakable objects placed within reach.
- Remove anything a frail elderly person may stumble over.
- Replace candles with bright centerpieces of fruit or flowers.
- Make sure all locations are properly lit, including doorways inside and out. Dim holiday lighting can hide tripping hazards and make it harder for seniors to see their way around furniture.
- Add a night light between the guest bedroom and the bathroom.
Be Aware of What’s on the Floor
- Keep floors clutter-free.
- Keep outdoor walk areas clear of rocks and tools.
- Arrange furniture so that people can easily move around it (especially low coffee tables).
- Add a non-slip pad underneath any throw rugs on floors in bathrooms or hallways that tend to be slippery, or simply remove the throw rugs completely.
- Keep rambunctious pets from running about when a senior guest is walking through the house.
- Designate a special area for children to play with their new toys when seniors are visiting.
Sometimes spending time with frail seniors over the holidays uncovers a need for extra care at home, whether the need is for a few hours a week or several hours a day. For tips on how to open the conversation about home care or to learn more about our home care services, contact Visiting Angels in Alameda County at (510) 284-0000 or in Santa Clara County at (408) 735-0977.
Sources: Associated Content, American Foundation for the Blind