Family caregiving is not often a job people are well prepared for, and many underestimate the financial burden, the amount of time it takes to provide care and the emotional toll it can take.
To help keep a healthy balance between caregiving and caring for yourself, remember these tips:
- Take time for a phone conversation or a visit with a friend or family member every now and then.
- Set personal limits. Don’t be afraid to let your loved one know what you are capable of giving in terms of time and assistance.
- Take time each day to relax through soothing music, prayer, meditation or other methods.
- Focus on doing one activity each day that brings enjoyment to you. It could be engaging in a hobby, taking a walk, reading a good book in a favorite spot or enjoying a latte at a favorite coffee shop.
- Exercise regularly, even if it means finding someone else to provide care while walking or going to an exercise class.
- Eat nutritious meals and get enough sleep.
Visiting Angels can help you obtain a healthy balance between caregiving and caring for yourself. Providing in-home care services, respite care and coordinating beneficial community services, we offer compassionate caregivers you can trust. Contact us in Alameda County at (510) 284-0000 or in Santa Clara County at (408) 735-0977.