Aging in place is a popular choice for seniors today. When you or a loved one make the choice to age in place and remain independent at home, it is important to assess the level of care that is required. Below is a list of some everyday activities that should be considered to help determine in-home care needs.
- Ability to use a telephone: This is an important function for seniors in the event of an emergency. If the senior can operate a phone, look up phone numbers, and dial a few well-known numbers, he or she may not need assistance in this area. However, if the senior can only answer the phone, but not dial, or cannot use a phone at all, this is an area where assistance is needed.
- Shopping: Depending on mobility, some seniors may be able to shop for themselves, while others may need accompaniment to the store or to have their shopping done by a caregiver.
- Food preparation: Proper nutrition is important for aging seniors, and you may find that your loved ones are not maintaining an adequate diet from the meals they prepare for themselves. If this is the case, they may need assistance with food preparation.
- Housekeeping: Daily household chores can be daunting for frail seniors. This is an area where many home care clients require assistance to help maintain upkeep of their homes.
- Medication responsibilities: A certain amount of memory loss is common with aging, so many seniors feel the need to receive medication reminders. For seniors with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, this assistance is particularly important.
Seniors will likely find that, as they age, their need for assistance in many areas of daily living will increase. At Visiting Angels, our expert caregivers can help you and your family assess the right level of care to meet your specific needs. Contact us in Alameda County at (510) 284-0000 or in Santa Clara County at (408) 735-0977 for more information.