After a cancer diagnosis, it is extremely important to focus on eating right during and after treatment. Nutrition is especially important because cancer and the treatments for it can affect your appetite and your body’s ability to tolerate certain foods and absorb nutrients. At Visiting Angels of Fremont and Sunnyvale, we know how important it is to eat right and stay as healthy as you can during treatments. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
- At least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day
- 3-4 servings of low fat dairy
- Lean meats like fish, poultry, nuts, legumes and beans
- Green tea (known for health benefits)
- Miso soup (known to detoxify radiation)
- Plenty of pure water
When healthy, eating enough food to maintain proper nutrition is not usually a problem, but during cancer treatment, a person may suffer from lack of appetite. Under these circumstances, the person should simply try to eat anything that he or she can easily digest.
On treatment days:
- Talk with the nurse to learn about ways to relax if feeling sick before treatment.
- Learn the best time to eat and drink. Some people feel better when they eat a little just before treatment. Others feel better when they have nothing to eat or drink before treatment.
- After treatment, wait at least one hour before eating or drinking.
Visiting Angels can help if you or your loved one in Alameda or Santa Clara County needs some help during cancer treatments. Our caregivers can help prepare nutritious meals and help you follow the doctor’s plan. Contact us any time at 408-735-0977 in Sunnyvale, or 510-284-0000 in Fremont.