Are you supporting a loved one at home who is battling or recovering from cancer? Treatment for cancer can be extremely difficult physically and mentally. Visiting Angels of Fremont and Sunnyvale has a few tips for caregivers on how to support your loved one during this difficult time.
- Avoid the “everything will be all right” attitude but be sure to emphasize good news.
- Sometimes simply being there and allowing a loved one to express his or her emotions is the best form of support.
- Prepare to change roles. You may have to step in to fulfill some of the duties your loved one used to always do.
- Be an advocate for your loved one. Research, ask questions, scout out cancer specialists and learn everything there is to know about the cancer and its treatments.
- Help your loved one with the everyday tasks of life such as cooking or cleaning, or contact Visiting Angels to help provide assistance for a few hours up to 24 hours a day.
Home care keeps families near one another, eliminates inconvenient visiting hours, and preserves a loved one’s independence and dignity. Visiting Angels and our compassionate caregivers are dedicated to helping your loved one remain at home while recovering. If you are looking for in-home care services throughout Santa Clara and Alameda Counties, we’re here for you and your loved ones whenever you need us. Contact us any time at 408-735-0977 in Sunnyvale, or 510-284-0000 in Fremont.