Hiccups. Loss of appetite. Itching. Trouble sleeping. These are just some of the many seemingly innocuous symptoms that could potentially indicate kidney disease. And with as many as 20 million Americans battling the disease, and many more undiagnosed, it’s important to bring any concerning symptoms to the doctor’s attention.
If kidney disease is the culprit, these tips from the National Kidney Center can help you or your loved one adapt and thrive:
- Be informed. Knowledge is power, and learning as much as you can about the disease will go a long way towards successfully managing it.
- Be in control. It’s ultimately up to the person with kidney disease, or his or her family caregiver, to stay on top of symptoms, keep track of test results and treatments, and take charge of the management of the disease and lifestyle choices.
- Be healthy. Following a kidney-friendly dietary plan, engaging in doctor-approved exercise programs, and taking medications as prescribed are all crucial for maintaining optimum health.
- Be productive. Physical and mental wellbeing are positively impacted when we have meaningful work to do that affects the lives of others. Working or volunteering with a cause of interest can improve overall wellbeing.
- Be proactive. Create a plan for the future to include treatment options to consider if the condition were to change or worsen.
Most of all, it’s important for those with kidney disease – and any other disease – to remain socially engaged with friends and family who can uplift and encourage them. Visiting Angels of California can provide additional companionship, along with a full range of professional in-home care services, including:
- Meal planning and preparation
- Personal care and hygiene assistance
- Transportation to doctors’ appointments/medical procedures
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Exercise routines
- And so much more, customized to each person’s individual needs and wishes
You can reach us any time at 408-735-0977 in Sunnyvale, or 510-284-0000 in Fremont, to ask us any questions you may have about our CAHSAH-certified senior care. We look forward to improving and enhancing quality of life for your senior loved one!