Home is where the heart is, and most seniors’ hearts are set on remaining at home throughout the aging process, rather than moving to an assisted living facility or nursing home – nearly 90% of them, according to AARP. And who can blame them? Feeling comfortable in familiar surroundings, having the independence to come and go as you desire, experiencing the freedom to choose whatever meals you want, and eat them whenever and wherever you want – these abilities are simply priceless.
But although it sounds ideal in theory, there are a number of concerns to be addressed as well:
- Will the senior be safe?
- How will he or she get around when driving, or even walking, becomes difficult?
- What happens if the senior becomes ill or injured and no one’s nearby to help?
Thankfully, it is possible for California seniors to remain safe and well cared for at home, with a little thought and planning. These suggestions can assist you in taking the necessary precautions to ensure your senior loved one is prepared for these needs and any others, now and in the years to come:
- Assess the home, both inside and out, from the perspective of the senior’s safety. Check to make sure:
- Grab bars are in place near the bathtub and toilet.
- Throw rugs and other tripping hazards are removed.
- There’s plenty of lighting, including in hallways and stairways.
- Commonly used items are within easy reach.
- Emergency numbers are posted in a prominent location.
- Put together a transportation plan, so it will be ready to implement when driving is no longer an option:
- Look into public transportation options that are available and easily accessible.
- Create a list of those the senior can rely on for help with transportation: friends, family members, neighbors, religious organizations, local senior centers, Visiting Angels, etc.
- Provide the senior with technology to use in an emergency to call for help when alone, such as a PERS (personal emergency response system).
Keep in mind that the best way to ensure seniors remain safe and well cared for at home is by partnering with a professional in-home care agency, such as Visiting Angels. Our caregivers are trained and have experience in providing the very best senior care in California, including personal care services, transportation, meal preparation, and companionship, and are available for as much or as little care as needed.
Our first step is to create an individualized care plan to address the senior’s specific needs and wishes, and then we continuously monitor that plan and modify as needs change – ensuring that the senior remains safe and is able to live life to the fullest, where it’s most comfortable: right at home. Contact us any time at 800-969-0499 for more senior care tips or to get started with in-home care for your senior loved one.