As the famous author Jane Austen said, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for those living with MS, comfort is essential, as is remaining safe. If a family member has been diagnosed with MS, the first step in caregiving should be to make the necessary modifications so the home is a safe, comfortable sanctuary, and not a dangerous place.
Multiple sclerosis can cause getting around to be difficult, and because daily activities — including recreational activities — can result in fatigue more quickly in people with MS, creating specific changes to the home environment may help conserve energy and increase independence.
Some examples include:
- Change out thick carpeting with smooth, nonslip flooring for easier mobility
- Put grab bars in the bathroom
- Reposition furniture to widen pathways throughout the home
- Include items in the shower or bathtub such as a handheld showerhead, a slip resistant bath mat and a bathtub seat
- Consider a bed rail to assist with changing sleeping positions
- Replace knobs throughout the home with handles, which are easier to manage
If you have a loved one who is living with MS, Visiting Angels of Sunnyvale, San Jose and Fremont, CA can provide in-home modification guidelines and help in scheduling customizations to ensure your loved one’s residence is a more convenient place for independence. To discover more about our in-home care services in Santa Clara County and the surrounding area, contact us at 408-735-0977 or 510-284-0000 or 408-610-9996. Our in-home care from expert caregivers can help individuals stay in the comfort of their home, with the care needed to improve quality of life.