As we age, our skin tends to become dryer and more delicate. Reported by Medscape, as many as 75% of older adults endure dry, flaky skin, which not only is easily injured (scratched, bruised, or cut), but also typically causes uncomfortable itching.
The most prevalent areas for dry skin in the elderly are the elbows, lower legs, and forearms. For older adults who are less mobile than they were previously, dry skin could also play a role in the development of bed sores from remaining in one position too long in either a chair or bed.
Dry skin can also result from the loss of oil and sweat glands. If your senior loved one is encountering the irritation of overly dry skin, Visiting Angels’ senior home care in San Jose, CA and the surrounding area can assist! The following strategies below are also a great reference guide to proper skin care for the elderly.
- Refrain from taking hot showers and baths. Warm water is less drying to the skin.
- Encourage the elderly person to bathe less often if feasible. While personal hygiene is important, utilizing “dry baths” (with a damp towel) can be satisfactory between baths and showers.
- Use mild soaps and shampoos on the older adult’s skin. If his or her scalp or skin is extremely dry, there are special products, such as Nizoral, that might help.
- Moisturize the senior’s skin well, specifically after bathing or showering.
- Only use products that are unscented, as perfumed products could further aggravate the skin.
- Be sure the elderly person drinks an adequate amount of fluids.
- Consider making use of a humidifier in the wintertime or in dry climates.
- If the person smokes, encourage him or her to quit.
- Add stress-reducing activities into the older adult’s everyday schedule.
- Ensure that he or she uses sunscreen when going outdoors, and limit exposure to the sun.
It’s a smart idea to look at your senior loved one’s skin on a regular basis to see if there are any signs of extremely dry skin, and seek medical care if necessary.
Serving the San Jose, CA area, our experienced staff at Visiting Angels can supply hourly or live-in care assistance with bathing and dressing, restroom use or incontinence, and many other personal care tasks to help keep seniors safe and in good health at home. We also supply a full range of in-home assistance with light housework, cooking, running errands, providing transportation, companionship, and so many other services for senior home care in San Jose.
Contact us at 408-610-9996 today to set up an in-home evaluation. We can help you and your loved one decide what level of care and services are best for his or her individual needs.