Distracting noises, fast talkers and mumblers —there are many different circumstances that make participating in group discussions hard for those with age related hearing loss, and some can make one feel left out entirely. Those without hearing loss should recognize this challenge and keep in mind to speak clearly when facing an older loved who has developed hearing problems.
For the person experiencing hearing loss, here are a few strategies to help you communicate:
- Tell those you’re with that you are experiencing hearing loss; that way they know to adjust their speech, look at you when they are talking, or make other accommodations to help keep you in the dialogue.
- Sit or stand in such a way that you can see the faces of all speakers.
- Face away from noise or other background disturbances.
- Request people to repeat themselves when necessary or repeat back the part of the statement that you understood with a request for the speaker to repeat the part that was unclear. (For example, “You went where?” “Who called you yesterday?”)
- Use what you know about the person speaking to help provide clues on what is going on in the conversation, including the individual’s interests or lifestyle.
- Stay updated about current events.
- Make sure you are well-rested before attending an occasion where you will be listening to a lot of speech.
It’s beneficial to know that hearing aids these days can usually make up for the majority of hearing loss in individuals with reduced hearing, and surgery may be something for the person to consider. Check with the person’s physician to determine whether any of the latest solutions may help, and contact Visiting Angels for support as well. We offer expert, experienced, in-home care services in Fremont and the surrounding area for older adults with hearing loss as well as any other issues of aging, helping older adults to remain safe, independent and thriving at home through services such as:
- Escorted transportation to health-related appointments and procedures, visits with family and friends, and fun excursions
- Running errands to pick up groceries, prescriptions, or any other necessary items
- Light housekeeping and meal preparation
- Friendly, caring companionship to engage in favorite activities and hobbies, conversations, exercise programs, etc.
- Personal care such as help with bathing, dressing, hygiene, ambulation and transfers, etc.
- And much more
Connect with us at 510-284-0000 to schedule a free consultation and take the first step toward enhancing the quality of life for your senior loved one with our exceptional California in-home care services.