In our last blog post, we shared the benefits of choosing a professional home care agency to provide the highest quality and safest level of home care services in Fremont. But we often receive questions on exactly what type of services are available to help seniors remain safe and thriving at home. If you’ve decided it’s time to investigate in-home help for a senior loved one, there are a variety of customized home care services available. The following options can help you narrow down the specific type of help your loved one needs:
- Housework: Household tasks can become difficult for older adults to manage. Housekeeping services performed on a daily, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly basis, including things like vacuuming, doing dishes, laundry, changing beds, dusting, preparing meals, and more can relieve stress and improve health and quality of life for seniors.
- Companionship: Often an older person who lives alone feels isolated and lacks social stimulation. Seniors can benefit from having a companion caregiver for a few hours a day to engage in enjoyable activities together or simply to visit and share friendly conversation. Companionship care includes help for those who not only live alone, but provides a safety net for those who are confused or have memory loss, allowing family members to take a break and know their loved one is being well cared for.
- Personal Care: Discreet, respectful assistance is needed for many older adults to safely bathe, use the toilet, and get dressed. Personal care services also cover assistance with eating, walking, transferring from bed to chair, and providing medication reminders.
- Overnight Care: For seniors who wake during the night, an overnight caregiver on hand can provide needed assistance with getting out of bed to use the toilet during the night, to provide conversation and soothing activities to help with relaxing and falling back to sleep, and with specialized nighttime needs for those with dementia who experience sundowning.
- Transportation: Accompanied transportation services are perfect for older adults who no longer drive, allowing for the opportunity to get out and enjoy activities, classes, and events in the community, shopping, medical appointments, visits with family and friends, etc.
- Geriatric Care Management: Geriatric care management services provide help with ongoing household management that falls outside of the services of a direct care provider, such as moving into another living arrangement and the closing up of a household.
With an in-home care assessment, offered at no charge, the care team at Visiting Angels can help you figure out what home care services will best benefit your senior loved one, helping him or her to remain in the comfort of home safely with as much or as little support as needed. Contact us online or call us to learn more at (408) 735-0977.