It’s common for seniors to feel uncomfortable with the idea of needing a hand around the house, and they may also object to having an in-home caregiver. But when care is needed, and you can’t provide all the care that’s required, don’t cave to caregiver guilt and not look into in home care. Approach the need for care with your loved one with the following tips:
- Introduce the senior to the caregiver before care begins to help establish a relationship and so that the caregiver is not perceived as a stranger.
- If the senior is afraid of having someone he or she doesn’t know in the home, consider having a family member present for the first few visits.
- Search for a caregiver who shares interests with the senior, like church or hobbies. This can make having a caregiver seem more like a friendship.
- Make in-home care seem more attractive by laying out the alternatives for the senior, like having to move away from home, moving into an assisted living facility, etc.
- Make it about you. Let the senior know that you know he or she is very independent, but having someone around will help you worry less.
Understand that this phase of life is a vulnerable one for most people. Have serious talks with your loved ones about their options and know that it might take a few conversations before anything is agreed upon. Servicing the San Francisco Bay area, Visiting Angels is here to walk you through these difficult situations and will find the right caregiver for your loved one’s needs and personality. Call us today in Alameda County at (510) 284-0000 or in Santa Clara County at (408) 735-0977 to learn more about our home care services.