Ensuring that older adults remain healthy, safe and independent is the goal of our professional senior care team at Visiting Angels home care, Sunnyvale, CA, but it’s also a priority for every family caregiver who helps take care of a senior loved one. Since the health and wellbeing of seniors is so crucial, it’s important to address something that can be difficult for many of us to even consider – elder abuse.
The CDC approximates that as many as 500,000 older adults experience elder abuse or neglect every year in the U.S. And many more elder abuse cases are believed to go unreported, so it’s vital for family members to be aware of potential elder abuse risks.
Below, the top caregivers in San Jose share some of the most common risk factors associated with elder abuse:
- Reliance on others: Older adults who rely on others for care are often hesitant to speak up about any elder abuse since they may feel unsafe or that their care needs will no longer be met if the abuser is reported.
- Reduced physical health and mobility: Dementia, Alzheimer’s or other conditions may elevate an older person’s risk of being abused, as he or she may not be able to explain or verbalize the abuse.
- History of abuse: If the older adult was abusive as a parent, there is an elevated risk for elder abuse, especially if an adult child who was abused by the senior is now providing care.
- Social isolation: Isolation from others often occurs when a senior loses a spouse or lives far from family and friends, and it can result in the perfect environment for elder abuse. Abusers very often try to keep older adults isolated by:
- Refusing to apply for economic aid or services
- Resisting outside help
- Changing social and healthcare providers frequently so that it’s difficult to assess the senior’s health status
- Controlling contact with the senior
- Family caregiver stress or burnout: Overwhelmed family members can quickly become depressed and stressed, leading them to lash out at the older adult in their care.
If you have a senior loved one being cared for by a family member or other caregiver, be mindful of these red flags, call or visit as often as possible to keep an eye on the senior’s health, and play an active role in his or her care.
At Visiting Angels, providers of the best caregivers in San Jose and the surrounding area, we know how important your senior loved one’s health and safety are, and we take the necessary steps to ensure we provide the best care. Each member of our professional senior care team has passed an extensive background check, reference checks, and a thorough personal interview to guarantee they meet our high care and safety standards. With Visiting Angels, your loved one is always in capable, experienced hands. Contact us today at 408-735-0977 to learn more about our expert senior care solutions in Sunnyvale and throughout Santa Clara County.