The holiday season presents a wonderful chance for you to visit with senior loved ones that you may not have been able to spend a lot of quality time with for a while. Additionally, it is a very good time to see to it that holidays for seniors are safe in addition to being joyful. Whether your older loved one is spending the season in your home or his or her own, taking into consideration these safety tips from our San Jose in home care experts can assure that everyone’s holiday is happy and bright.
In your senior loved one’s home, or your own if he or she will be visiting there:
- Use very simple decorations that do not result in extra clutter. Always ensure that there is sufficient room to walk.
- Always keep extension cords away from walking paths to prevent stumbling over them.
- Instead of candles, use colorful centerpieces of flowers or fruit, or utilize battery-operated candles.
While we often like to enjoy the colorful holiday lighting, keep these guidelines in mind when older adults are nearby:
- Make certain that all areas of the home are sufficiently lit. Dim holiday lights can hide tripping hazards and make it difficult to see around household furnishings.
- Put a nightlight in the bedroom and bathroom the senior will be using and make sure light switches are easily accessible.
With all of the holiday decorations, tripping risks can become a major problem for seniors during the holidays, so remember to:
- Keep floors clutter-free.
- Keep outside pathways clear.
- Move furniture so people can freely move around it.
- Place non-slip pads under rugs.
- Keep rambunctious pets from running around while the older person is walking through the home.
- Identify a special out-of-the-way location for children to play with their new toys while the senior is visiting.
It’s vital to recognize the special care needs of older individuals during the holidays in order to make their home, or visits to your home, fun and safe. If you’d like more information on home alterations to help make the holiday season safer for seniors, or any other in-home senior care needs, contact the Fremont and San Jose in home care experts at Visiting Angels. We can provide an in-home safety assessment to ensure the home is as safe as can be for your senior loved one, advise on adaptations, and provide a full range of care services. You can reach us any time through our online form or by calling 408-610-9996.